WSIB is offering a 5% rebate incentive for Small Business Health & Safety Programs
WSIB has announced two small business health and safety incentive programs that can save you money. One is Building Health & Safety Awareness, which offers a 5% rebate (one time) of annual WSIB premiums and the other is Building your Health & Safety Program which also offers a 5% rebate (one time) of annual WSIB premiums.
Here are more details:
Small Business Health and Safety Programs (formerly SCIP)
The programs are exclusively for owners and senior managers of small businesses, because research and experience have shown that commitment and leadership from owners and senior management is essential to developing effective health and safety programs and return to work programs.
- Building Health and Safety Awareness is an introduction to health and safety designed to create awareness of risks in the workplace and an understanding of a small business’ legal requirements under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act. Firms that meet the program requirements - participation in two in-class training sessions and the creation of a health and safety action plan - are eligible to receive a 5% rebate (one time only) on their WSIB premiums. You are welcome to join Building Health and Safety Awareness if your business has been registered with the WSIB for less than 24 months.
- Building Your Health and Safety Program further enhances health and safety awareness and helps you develop an effective and successful health and safety program to better manage your business risks. Firms can receive a 5% rebate (one time only) after they participate in three in-class training sessions and develop and submit a workplace self-evaluation checklist, a health and safety action plan, a workplace inspection procedure and a return to work procedure. You may join Building your Health and Safety Program if your business has been registered with the WSIB for 24 months or more.
Firms are not eligible to receive rebates from both Small Business Health and Safety Programs in the same calendar year.
Who can join?
You are eligible to join if your firm:
- is registered as a Schedule 1 employer and is in good standing with the WSIB
- pays $90,000 or less in WSIB premiums per year
- is not part of the WSIB Safety Groups Program and has not received a SCIP rebate in the past
In Building Health and Safety Awareness (two separate two-hour sessions), you’ll learn how to:
- comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Workplace Safety & Insurance Act
- identify and manage hazards in your workplace to keep you and your employees safe
In Building your Health and Safety Program (three separate four-hour sessions), you’ll learn how to:
- Develop a return to work program
- Develop and implement a health and safety policy and action plan
- Develop and manage an effective health and safety program
- Identify and manage hazards in your workplace
How to register
Download an application form and email it to SCIPTraining@wsib.on.ca
- Health and Safety Information Sessions application form (PDF)
- Building Your Health and Safety Program application form (PDF)
For more information
For more information, contact a Workplace Health and Safety Services Program Administrator at 416-344-5533, (toll-free 1-800-387-0750 ext. 5533); or by fax at 416-344-3493; or by email to email@example.com.